When I took the photos of this one, the sunlight really threw the seams into high relief. Crazy, because they are practically invisible in person (and I promise that they are straight!). I wasn't sure how I was going to layout these improv HST's, so I cut several solid squares to fill out the quilt, giving myself plenty of layout options. If I had planned a little better, I would have used large sections of the background fabric rather than using squares, but once they were cut, I certainly wasn't wasting them.
My larger leftover chunks made a perfect backing, and I used more of the lighter shade of navy marble fabric to bind it.
I definitely have a to-do list right now, but with all of the other madness happening in my house, a little whimsical improv sewing was just what I needed to decompress. The design of this quilt reminds me of the disturbance created when stones are tossed into a peaceful body of water, so I thought that Ripples was an apt name.