Before we jump into a brand new year, it seems fitting that I take a moment to reflect on 2015. I am combining my reflection with my "Best of 2015" to not only include my favorite finishes, but other significant events as well. So, here's a little recap of this very important year in my quilting journey. I chose to highlight the quilts, patterns, and happenings that were my own favorites, rather than following the stats.
1. When I think about the "Best of 2015" as it applies to quilting, this is unequivocally number one- I made quilting my full-time job in May of this year. This was a huge leap of faith, and it requires some discipline to keep "creative quilting" and "work quilting" balanced (though sometimes they overlap), but I have loved every minute of it. Besides giving me more time with my family, all of this extra time to quilt has allowed me to...
2. ...finish 71 quilts this year. I know that quilting is NOT all about the numbers, but at the end of each year, I can't help but count them up. Some of these quilts are very small, and not all of these are included on my finished quilts page, so keeping that in mind, here's how they break down-
*30 quilts pictured on my finished quilts page- I am including my favorite three finishes, and you can see the original blog posts by clicking on the picture of each quilt.
Shattered Rainbow Encore-
A repeat of the original made in 2014, but I made this one for keeps, so definitely has to be included as a fave. I would be remiss if I didn't include that I recently learned that this quilt is also a #quiltconreject for next year's show. I decided to enter this one and only quilt on a whim just before submissions closed, but even though I didn't really ponder over the decision long, I won't pretend that I wasn't disappointed by this news. After seeing some of the other quilts that were not accepted, I see that Shattered Rainbow is definitely in good company though.
*5 preemie quilts- I donated six total to our local children's hospital, but one was actually finished in 2014.
*3 other team quilts- Since LSU is near and dear to my heart, I included that one on my finished quilts page, but I made three others. These three rival team quilts were included in blog posts, but not on my finished page.
*33 memory quilts (from dress shirts and flannel shirts, not T-shirts)- a couple of these sets were included in my posts, but when this side of my business picked up, I made the decision to work on these "behind the scenes" to keep my blog about modern quilting as I originally intended.
3. 9 new quilt patterns released (and one more in the works). The design process of quilting really fuels my creativity and keeps my love of quilting strong. Bubble Bath and Baubles are my two favorite patterns released this year (The photos link to the blog posts for these quilts. If you want to visit my Etsy or Craftsy shops instead, you can find those buttons on my right sidebar).
Although this one is not one of my most popular patterns, it is still one of my favorites. I am still a curve chicken, so I love quilts and patterns that have the illusion of curves, but without actually sewing curves. Maybe I should make curve sewing a goal for 2016? In the meantime, I think I need to make another Baubles quilt soon, and I think I have the perfect fabric in mind.
What an amazing year; I feel so grateful to have been able to share it with you! I am looking forward to seeing what 2016 has in store, and to continuing to be inspired by this amazing modern quilting community!
Now, let's get to this week's party. Since I included my Best of 2015 post in this week's party, I am going to skip the highlights this week. Instead, I'll feature projects from our last party, as well as this week's NTT in our next link-up. Happy New Year to you!
1. You can link finished projects or WIP's , but just keep it about quilting and sewing!
2. Link to your specific post (not to your home page!) to make it easier for others.
3. Please remember to spread the word and post my button or a text link.
4. Spread the comment love far and wide!
5. Following me is not a requirement to link, but is so very appreciated!