Chevrons are everywhere these days, and with good reason- they are so cute! Well, I decided to jump on the bandwagon and finally make a chevron quilt. I pulled fabrics from a few lines, including Art Gallery Poetica and Michael Miller Secret Garden. I'm not usually a pink person, but I managed to find these fabrics on clearance, and I'm surprised at how much I actually like the way the top came out.
One reason that I haven't made a chevron quilt before now is my complete aversion to HST's. All of the tracing lines and trimming up provides just enough annoyance that I have avoided certain patterns that use lots of them. However, I have to say that using the HST tutorial at That Girl...That Quilt made these a snap. I used the first method shown, which creates four HST's from two larger squares. To determine the correct size of my two beginning squares, I used the HST Math Chart at Blossom Heart Quilts- and they were perfect! I'll never make HST's another way again!
I will say this though, if you use this method, spray the heck out of your blocks with spray starch to add some stability to those bias edges, and press very carefully! I did both of these things and I didn't have a bit of trouble though. So, it was well worth that tiny bit of care.
I'm planning to back it in a lime colored fabric with white polka dots, and bind in that great raspberry color! Can't wait to get it quilted!